Paralegal Studies - Specialist Certificates

Funding Sources

Our Professional Certificate programs are non-credit (not degree applicable); therefore, they are NOT eligible for federal education loans.  DO NOT SUBMIT FAFSA FORMS for these programs.  Some of our programs may offer payment plans.  Please see individual program web pages for those details.

No loans (Wells Fargo Graduate loan, Sallie Mae Smart Option Undergraduate loan, etc.) can be construed to imply any degree-seeking status for students of Duke Continuing studies. Duke Continuing Studies courses are non-credit.

Loan Options:
  • Your local bank may offer other options for loans or a "line of credit" service. Contact your bank for more information on financing choices.

Sallie Mae Smart Options Loan: To apply for this private student loan, visit Sallie Mae’s website.

  • Click on the orange Get Started button under Undergraduate Loans.
  • Fill out the first page of the application.
  • Click on Continue.
  • Notice that the information on the bottom of the page shows School: DUKE PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATES, DURHAM, NC, 00292099
  • Click on Continue to full application.
  • Enter additional General Information.
  • For Degree/Certificate of Study, select Certificate.
  • For Major/Speciality select the choice most related to the program for which you're registering.
  • For Enrollment Status, select Half Time.
  • For Grade Level, select Certificate/Continuing Ed.
  • Fill out the remaining fields on the application.
  • Amount of Loan: Be aware that Duke Continuing Studies is only able to certify the loan amount up to the cost of tuition for the program in which you are enrolling. You may choose to borrow less than the full tuition amount.

Duke Continuing Studies (DCS) will not certify (approve) loan amounts greater than the amount of the tuition regardless of the amount approved by the lending agency. DCS reserves the right to reject any loan which exceeds the tuition amount. DCS will not be responsible for refunding monies in excess of the tuition. Students needing to secure loan funding for books or other items in relation to the program are responsible for making separate loan arrangements with the funding agency. No loan funds will be refunded to the student.

Should a student choose to borrow less than the tuition amount, the balance must be paid prior to the close of the registration period.

For additional guidance or questions on filling out the loan application, please contact our registration office at 919-684-6259. 

Wells Fargo Graduate Loan: To apply for this loan, visit Wells Fargo.  Duke Continuing Studies will be required to certify your loan application for the Graduate Loan should you be approved by Wells Fargo. 

You will need to enter the following information after clicking on Apply Now in the Before Starting Your Application section:

  • Find a loan for: Graduate School Expenses
  • I am a: Student
  • School state: North Carolina
  • School name: please type Duke University Continuing Education
  • Grade Level: Beyond 3rd Year Graduate
  • Field of Study: Undecided or select Other and type in the field of study
  • Citizenship: Select as appropriate

Please note that DCS will not certify amounts that include separate fees for books, materials, etc.  Should you choose to borrow less than the amount of the program, you are responsible for paying the balance prior to the program start date.

For additional guidance or questions on filling out the loan application, please contact our registration office at 919-684-6259. 

Other Funding:
The funding options listed below may not be applicable to all programs at this time.  Please contact the organization offering the funding to see if you qualify and if the funds can be used for the program in which you are interested.

Duke Hospital Employees:
Duke University Hospital employees may be eligible for support from the Employee Development Initiative (EDI), which helps employees pay for short-term career-related programs, workshops, and seminars.  For more information, visit the Employee Development Initiative site or call Duke Hospital Human Resources at (919) 668-2170.

Montgomery G.I. Bill (VA)
Educational assistance is available to those persons who qualify under the conditions set forth by the US Department of Veterans Affairs. Students may contact 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) to speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor or visit the G.I. Bill site

At this time, the only program that has applied for and been approved by the North Carolina State Approving Agency for VA funding is the classroom-based Paralegal Certificate Program.  Those students who qualify for funding through the VA should apply for the paralegal program and let the DCS registration office know that this type of funding is being sought. The DCS registration office will then put Paralegal students in contact with Duke University’s VA official.  Any questions about VA program approval should be directed to individual program directors.

The Workforce Investment Act
The WIA provides professional and basic skills training services to those who have been unable to find employment. Please keep in mind that this process can be lengthy, so plan to apply well in advance of the program start date.  For more information on eligibility, the application process, or to find your local Workforce Development Board, visit the NC JobLink Career Center website.

AmeriCorps Education Awards are available only for AmeriCorps volunteers and can be used for educational expenses for non-degree courses, such as Continuing Education courses offered by qualified schools.  For more information on qualified schools and programs, contact the National Service Trust at 1-800-942-2677, or visit the FAQ page of the AmeriCorps website.