Duke University and Duke Continuing Studies offer a wide selection of online educational options. Whether you are looking to develop your professional skills, complete a certificate in paralegal studies, or simply take advantage of the free courses offered by world class scholars, Duke University has something for you.
- NEW: Sustainable Community Development - Online
Learn the skills needed to transform your community and advance your career.
- Legal Nurse Consulting -- Our online program enables you to start at any time and offers students email access to experienced legal nurse consultants who are dedicated to helping you succeed in your legal nurse training. Experience sophisticated learning software that doesn’t just require you to read, but allows you to see and hear the information as well. Our curriculum offers the foundation you need to get started as a legal nurse consultant anywhere in the United States. Please note that the online program is not currently able to offer continuing education credits. Register online.
- Paralegal Online -- Duke University’s Online Global Paralegal Certificate Program trains students for careers as professional paralegals. This internet-based program provides comprehensive support materials designed to help each student successfully complete the program. The program is based on the United States legal system and includes traditional texts, online lecture notes, mock exams, writing labs, and reference materials for each of the 50 states. Additionally, as part of the program, students are provided access to Lexis Nexis and Westlaw, two of the most recognized legal research tools in the world. The Duke University Online Global Paralegal Certificate Program is completely online. An instructor is assigned to each student, but students can work at their own pace. Instructors are experienced U.S. attorneys and work with students through the duration of their studies. Any site with Internet access will allow students to take part in the Duke University Online Global Paralegal Certificate Program. Learn about the registration process.
- Paralegal Specialist Certificates Online - Each Paralegal Specialist Certificate consists of four courses: three required and one elective. Students complete all four courses online from anywhere in the U.S. or abroad using textbooks, plus a multitude of comprehensive online resources. Once complete, students will receive the Duke Online Paralegal Specialist Certificate in their area of specialty.
- Certificate in Nonprofit Management -- Nonprofit organizations provide vital services that contribute to the health of our communities. The goal of the Duke Nonprofit Management Program is to ensure that these vital services continue to grow in scope and quality. The Nonprofit Management Program provides affordable, practical and accessible information to people working in and with the nonprofit arena. It integrates Duke University’s commitment to academic excellence with the practical wisdom of the instructors and the realistic work experience of the participants.
Nonprofit Management online courses:
- Management Training -- Duke University Management Training is the result of a strategic alliance between Duke University Continuing Studies and Corporate Education Group, a premier provider of corporate training and consulting services for more than 25 years. Individuals and organizations that want to augment their professional development and build their management expertise can select from a portfolio of certificate programs, including Project Management, Business Analysis, Management and Leadership, and Business Process Management.
Duke University, in partnership with Coursera, a California-based education company founded in 2011 by two Stanford computer science professors, is offering free online courses in astronomy, engineering, philosophy, human physiology, and cell biology. Other courses will be featured as more faculty members experiment with making their courses globally available.
- Introduction to Astronomy (begins December 2, 2013)
- Introduction to Chemistry (begins January 2, 2014)
- Introduction to Genetics and Evolution (begins January 3, 2014)
- Medical Neuroscience (begins January 6, 2014)
- Image and Video Processing: From Mars to Hollywood (begins January 20, 2014)
- Sports and Society (begins January 20, 2014)
- Introductory Human Physiology (begins January 27, 2014)
- History and Future of (Mostly) Higher Education (begins January 27, 2014)
- Data Analysis and Statistical Inference (begins February 17, 2014)
- English Composition 1: Achieving Experience (begins April 21, 2014)
Duke University Summer Session welcomes current Duke undergraduates and alumni, students from other U.S. colleges and universities, U.S. and international high school students, and students from international colleges and universities. Enroll in Summer Session and join us for an unforgettable summer. Summer 2014 online classes:
- EDUC 241 Promising Paradigms: Issues and Innovations in American Classrooms. (cross-listed as Public Policy Studies 245)
- PUBPOL 290S.02 Writing for Public Policy.
- STA 104 Data Analysis and Statistical Inference.
- WRITING 270 Composing the Internship Experience: Digital Rhetoric and Social Media Discourse.